Sunday, October 12, 2014


Summary:
In Chapter Nine of Gerald Gaff and Cathy Birkenstein’s They Say I Say, the idea of when to mix your writing styles is introduced.  Gaff and Birkenstein dedicate this chapter to help writers know when to be formal with their writing and when to use their own type of language.  The chapter helps writers create a successful blend of academic and professional language with their own popular expressions and sayings.  Another main idea in the chapter is when to mix your styles.  It is recommended that when the writer is applying for a job or submitting a grant proposal that they should use a professional type of writing or it may jeopardize your chances.  The writer must first know who the audience is going to be before they can have a success in writing.

Response:
I believe that this chapter is going to help lead me to a successful career of writing.  I was always one of those kids who believed that you needed to always write in a professional manner.  I now know that I need to discover who my audience is first before deciding on what type of style my paper will consist of.  All of my previous teachers taught me to write professional no matter what.  I guess I knew how to write in their classes for a good grade, but there is going to be so many other times where mixing the two styles will be very helpful when it comes to my success.  I am very happy that I took the time to focus on this chapter because I have learned extra ways to be successful when it comes to writing.

3 comments:

  1. Definitely agree! I think we all have this misconception that since teachers are professionals in education, we assume they also want that etiquette professional academic writing. However, that's not true. A lot of teachers totally dig t

    ReplyDelete
  2. *A lot of teachers totally dig the creativity! (Colloquial language haha)

    ReplyDelete
  3. In this increasingly connected world of email and social media, it’s more important than ever to write well. Communicating in a way that is both professional and intelligent. Knowing your targeted audience is essential.. How else can you know if your writing is relevant? If you don’t know to whom you’re writing, do some research. Anyone can give a lot of great information, even in an informal way. Taking time to get to know your readers.. They’ll thank you for it ! by not ignoring what you have to say ( laugh out loud ) and making sure that we all must absolutely avoid phoniness. I’ve learned the best way to do that is to stop using words and phrases I read in a novel once and still don’t understand what they mean.. It will sound deliberately created rather than coming up naturally. thanks for sharing will ! I enjoyed reading your response.

    ReplyDelete