Sunday, November 16, 2014


Sample proposal:

I plan on expanding essay three about Maya Angelou’s I Know Why the Caged Birds Sing.  I focused my essay on shedding light on the effects racism has both physically and emotionally.  I only had one point of view and it was a females.  For my revised essay, I want to use a male’s story to compare and contrast the physical and emotional effects racism causes for men and women.  I think it will be important to get more views on the situation.  The view will be quite similar to Marguerite’s, but I believe that choosing a male’s view as well it will be an even more unpleasant situation.  I will keep my focus around the same time period as Marguerite’s that way the comparison will be accurate.

Key terms:

1)      Racism in the 1930’s

2)      Racism towards certain genders in the south

3)      Physical and emotional effects caused by racism

4)      Physical and emotional effects racism causes male African Americans in the south

5)      Physical and emotional effects racism causes female African Americans in the south

2 comments:

  1. I feel that this a very good choice of an essay because there many different aspects of the story that you could elaborate on. From things such as race , stereotypes , profiling , and others. You could even compare the treatment of people of color then to how it is in today's society. Good luck !

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am surprised that Rashaud didn't suggest Emmett Till's story for you. James Baldwin would be another suggestion.
    I really like this idea and it looks like you're off to a good start.

    ReplyDelete